USA Today Magazine offers women one more reason to join Sol Fitness Adventures walking group in Santa Barbara: normal-weight women prevent weight gain by doing an hour a day of moderate-intensity activity such as brisk walking.
The Strong Woman’s Guide to Total Health, by Miriam Nelson, a leading researcher on exercise for women, discusses ways to get more creative with walking in order to reach the hour-a-day goal of exercise. For those who are stuck sitting at a desk all day, try these methods to get more steps:
* Take 100 steps around the office every hour
* Walk the long way to the bathroom
* Walk one city block = about 200 steps
* Take a 20 minute brisk walk during your lunch hour = 2,000 steps
It is recommended that American’s strive to walk up to 10,000 feet/day. The best way to track your progress is to get a handy pedometer and watch your activity level to fall into one of the following categories:
* Fewer than 4,500 = very sedentary
* 4,500 – 5,000 = sedentary
* 5,500 – 7,500 = getting there, but you need to step it up
* 8,500 and up = you’re active, stick with it
Give yourself the jump start you need to walk your way to better fitness. Sol’s walking group meets at 7 am Monday and Wednesday at the Douglas Family Preserve, Linda Street Entrance. Walk to the sound of crashing waves, the smell of morning dew, and the feel of the warm sunrise on your skin. It’s so beautiful you’ll feel invigorated mentally as well as physically. See you there! Contact us for more details.